Saturday, May 12, 2007

La Dieta Mediterranea (The Mediterranean Diet)

If the sights and sounds of Spain can evoke a dangerous nostalgia, then the scent of cerveza and the taste of tapas are fatal. I knew I was right back at home as soon as I ate my first bite of tortilla espanola, a Spanish omelet made with cubed potatoes, complimented by a cold cana de cerveza and a handful of olives. Mornings have been spent deciding on what should compliment my cafe con leche: a tostada with olive oil and a rich tomato paste or the infallable chocolate croissant. Culinary decisions only get more difficult as the day passes and I fluctuate between a tall tinto de verano or a cold pitcher of sangria. Actual substinence comes from bocadillos or montaditos (baguettes only differentiated by size) filled with queso manchego, anchovies, or jamon serrano.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds wonderful! Please send pictures as soon as you can.

Lisa

Vicki Jean said...

Welcome Back!!! (Online) At first I thought I was having a heart attack and then I realized that it was just my heart doing a "Happy Dance". So good to see your writings again. No fair describing the food in rich detail. I happen to like Spanish omlettes and now have a huge craving to make one myself. Guess I will be going to the market soon? Take care and write on!